Monday, June 23, 2008

Week One, Done!

For the first time in a long time, I am so far on schedule with Bible Study! It's only week one, so I'm not getting too proud of myself yet! The most significant thing I have gleaned from this week is from day three, the bottom of page 21, where she talks about recognizing our powerlessness against our idols, and accepting the gift of His strength. I never thought of His power as a gift, and I never thought of accepting it. So, I'm working on having that mindset to overcome my idol.
To answer Beth's question, the biggest obstacle I face this summer is our move to Frankfort. Back in February, my husband started his job here, leaving me in Memphis so our oldest son could finish third grade. Brian came home on weekends. Now, school is out, our house is for sale with no good offers, we're living in a condo in Frankfort with few of our things, unable to really settle yet or make many plans. I'd like to get my boys in soccer camp or something, but if our house sells...well, we don't know where we'll be any given week. I trust the Lord, knowing He's in control and His timing is right. I mean, He's not up there wringing His nail-pierced hands saying, "Oh, no! Their house hasn't sold yet! What should I do?" But I struggle with discouragement. On the other hand, our house could sell any day now and I'd be up to my elbows in boxes and packing tape!
Did I mention that I've gained 20 pounds since my husband took this job? Food is no doubt my idol.

1 comment:

Karen said...

We all struggle with discouragement sometimes. (Beth Moore had something to say about it in "stepping up." Something to the effect that it is one of satan's easiest tools to use against us.) And I think God understands that we feel that way sometimes. I suppose it's how we handle it that makes the difference between sin and faith.

I'm praying for you and your family.
blessings,
karen