Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No Other Gods - first day

Hello everyone!
A quick entry before I get ready for the first day of my class (I'm taking an ACLS class today and tomorrow). First off, did anyone make the chicken enchilada/chili con queso meal that was posted on the blog? Or did you do the black beans and rice, butterfinger cake recipe (sounds delicious) from the book? We had enchiladas last week (first time I made them) and my husband hates black beans, so I made spaghetti and meat sauce which is easier :-) Melissa's recipe looked so much better than the one I used...it was from Rachael Ray and had a touch of cinnamon in it (think Skyline chili). I think that Melissa's recipe sounds like it would be better.

I posted the memory verse on the Kentucky Siestas heading. It is the King James version, which I love, but feel free to memorize it in any version you want.

I finished the first day of homework last night. I find it very easy to profess God as my Lord and yet "serve" functional Gods without thinking. It seems I've spent my life trying to please people, trying to be what I think that particular important person in my life wants me to be. My husband said he has a fear of disapproval...he is not honest with people that he cares about because he wants their approval. He stifles and sacrifices his real feelings because he is afraid of disapproval (he's probably done this with me). Sometimes even good things in our lives, such as family and friendships, can distract us from the Lord if we place their approval above His approval in our lives.

A big time waster (and idol) for me has been the TV. I love the Food Network (it "relaxes" me....isn't that crazy). Lately, I've tried to make a conscious decision to NOT turn it on during the day. I can think so much clearer when it's QUIET in my house, but I find myself drawn to turn it on "just to check the news" and soon I'm hooked on Rachael Ray or the View. My husband watches TV at night and prefers to have it on during his sleep. I try to turn it off if I get to bed after him.

I can't wait to read what your thoughts are! I do not confess to being a facilitator....I am leaving the discussion open to all to share what is on your mind.
I hope you have a great day at the office, on the beach, at home playing with the kids or wherever you are today!

God bless!
Cheri

1 comment:

Patty said...

I have the same issue. Being single, I often want some noise in the house. So on goes the TV. And I can go from one home show or food show to the next. But it really keeps me from my other dreams. I'm learning to live with the quiet.