Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hello Ladies!

I see that some of you have posted a little about yourselves this week as we are starting this study. I was invited to do this with Karen whom I have the pleasure to work with. Our co-worker, Connie, is also involved. I suspect that I am the youngest member of the group at the ripe age of 22. I am single and live at home with my wonderful parents and incredible sister (who is about to head to London on study abroad). I am about to start my career as a French teacher (either high school or middle school), or at least hope to this fall (read "waiting for a school to call"). I like to read, watch movies, cook and hang out with friends. I LOVE Starbucks and Barnes & Nobles. I have been a Christian since I was 5 and a Southern Baptist for 5 years.

I finished the homework for this week and was very convicted! God is gracious! He shows us sin in our lives and reminds us how dependent on his mercy that we are. I feel that God is really calling me to do this study with all my heart especially this week in two ways. First, while teaching VBS this week, the kids heard how dangerous idolatry was! I totally took that as a reminder for myself and hope that the kids can learn this lesson early in life. Also, in my Sunday School class this week, we studied Deuteronomy 4. I was reminded of the warning of God to the Israelites that they only serve HIM and not idols. The warning are STRONG against idol worship, "Take care, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make a carved image, the form of anything that the LORD your God has forbidden you. For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God" (4:23-24 ESV). The teacher today talked about how we often do not describe God as a "consuming fire." He is a jealous God who WILL NOT share His glory with another. What a great reminder that this study is what I am in need of right now! I have so many idols and go after them instead of God. But how gracious and merciful He is to forgive! Oh that I may trust him more deeply for all my needs and not go after these gods that cannot fulfill as He does. Thanks for reading ladies. I look forward to the rest of this study with you all. Blessings on you this week!

PS-I am very glad to have a fellow CARDS fan on board! You are brave to live in the lion's den!

6 comments:

connie said...

Katie,
I am so glad you are here doing this study with us... I love your post it makes me really think...
You are in my Prayers...
Connie
GBU

Sherri said...

Katie,
I hope you hear soon from a school! Glad to have you with us--you will make me feel younger!

Cheri said...

I'm so glad that you joined us. We need the perspective of a younger woman (I think that I am the old lady of the group :-)
I'm praying about your job!
Cheri

Karen said...

girlfriend, you know I love you and am praying for you!

UL Cards Fan said...

Hi Katie,
I don't know if I'm brave or crazy. I have a UL clock on the wall at work, a Cardinal shrine by my desk (did I just hear a UK fan say FALSE IDOL?) and UL license plates on both the front and back of my RED convertible that is parked every work day at UK. You and I should get along just fine. LINDA

Carla said...

Hey guys, I was in the process of sending my blog in when something strange happened. I lost contact. So, here is a short version. This week's lesson really spoke to. It was if I was standing in front of class and i was the subject. here lately I have had a hard time keeping cobsistant with my prayer time. Why is it the very thing you desire most is the thing you neglect? Thanks for letting me be apart, tho a weak one, of your group. I'll sign in againg next week, Carla Lee