Sunday, July 13, 2008

Um...hello? (tap, tap, tap) Is anybody out there? It's been awfully quiet lately. Did everybody go home and forget to tell me?

I have a question. Am I the only one who is discovering that I have more idols than I do pockets? I thought I could discover THE ONE and eradicate it but apparently it's not that simple. Every time I turn the corner, I seem to be finding something else that nudges God out of His proper place.

Interestingly enough, our pastor started a sermon series on idols today (based on Joshua 24). Sigh. If you wait until Monday, you can probably hear it here. (If this doesn't take you to the right sermon, keep poking around. It's there somewhere. It hadn't been posted yet.) Anyhow, they started the service with the statement,

You must not have any other god but me. You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods."

Kyle made a statement about God being a jealous God that really caught my attention and put things into perspective for me. He said, "It would be like you telling your husband that you've decided to see other people, but he's still your favorite." For some reason, that painted a picture for me like I've never seen before. He also talked about how so many times we focus on the fruit (sin) rather than removing the tree (idolatry). His belief is that all sin has it's root in idolatry. And I think I agree with him. Henry Blackaby gives this definition of idolatry: Anything you turn to for help when God tells you to turn to Him. Kyle went on to list things that help us identify the idols in our lives (what is your nightmare?, whose applause do you long for?, what do you dream of?) and how we can stop worshipping these idols (Appreciate what God has done. The more we remember what He has done for us, the more we appreciate Him, Recognize who He is, and smash all other gods.)

The sermon is well worth listening to if you get a chance. They don't put them up until Monday though. Anyway, I really would be curious to know how things are going for all of you. Are you like me and finding that you are more "caught" then you thought you were? What speaks most to you? How did you feel about her thoughts on media feeding our souls?

5 comments:

annette said...

The idol thing shakes me up every time. When we learn that idols are anything that we turn to instead of God, I am convicted to the core for all the ways I do not direct my heart toward Him. You always make me think, and now I need to pray. Love, Annette

Cheri said...

Thank you Karen for breaking the six day drought with no postings. I have been in bed all weekend with an intestinal virus (N/V/D - yuck!) I have insomnia now because of all of the sleeping (phenergan works well, baby!), so I thought that I would comment. I just was watching an old movie that portrayed the Old Testament characters, Jacob, Joseph and Moses. I was at the part where Moses came down from the Mount with the Ten Commandments and saw the golden calf, the idol that the people made to worship after being delivered miraculously from the hand of their enemies. Moses, after breaking the stone tablets, read the first two commandments, "You shall have no other Gods before me" and "You shall not make for yourself a carved image." Then, the TV went to blue screen. All of the other channels were working, but not this particular channnel. So I turned the TV off and meditated on this message......

Cheri said...

Very pertinent sermon! Thanks Karen for calling this to our attention!
I love it at the end when Kyle says that our worship is not "for our pleasure and enjoyment," but "worship is our response to God for who He is and what He has done for us." All glory to God!

Peggy said...

Karen,

Yes, I also heard the sermon on Satruday night. It was so encouraging (??) and interesting. I think that this current sermon series is going to be totally awesome. I did not realize that we attended the same church.

Hey, if you would like to meet before a service or anything, that would be great. I am also here on staff.

Peggy
phenderson@secc.org

Yvonne said...

Karen,

Thanks for that!! The questions have really be relevant have made me do more thinking. Yes, I am finding I have more idols than I EVER dreamed.

I have a question not related to this topic. I read (maybe on your blog??) about your difficulty with the OT and how it is organized. I AM THERE GIRL!!! It is soooo confusing to me. Where did you find it in chronological order??? I went to the link you had, but couldn't figure it out.

Yvonne