Saturday, July 5, 2008

Functional Gods: Eating Disorders and Seeking Approval of Others

Many of us have posted that our functional god is overeating and seeking approval of others.

I'm right there with you gals.

I have fought eating disorders since I was 14. It started with anorexia nervosa. I wanted to look like Audrey Hepburn (I kid you not) or a teen model from those preteen magazines that were well read. So, I limited my daily calorie allotment to 900 calories per day, exercised religiously, awoke early, went to bed exactly 16 hours later (I didn't want to lose a few calories by sleeping), and watched the pounds melt away. I still thought I looked fat when I weighed 87 pounds! I was a perfectionist also...I had to make A's or I would die!

Eventually, my monthly periods had ceased and I was dizzy when I arose from a sitting position. There wasn't a lot of information in the lay publications regarding anorexia nervosa in the early 70's, but my nurse mom took me to a gynecologist to see what was wrong with me (I was also very depressed). He gave me a hormone injection to jump start my periods and told me "quit over achieving!"
Well, thank God, I stopped depriving myself of food and my eating disorder was gone! Or, so I thought. Because I was so skinny, my mom kept ice milk (I would only eat Light and Lively) and other sweets around....Oh Boy! I could eat what I wanted! Yippee!

Then entered anorexia's hidden brother....bulimia.

I must say that I have struggled with overeating and bulimia off and on since then. It strikes me when I am stressed, lonely or depressed. Of course, it's a vicious circle...I overeat because I am depressed, I gain weight or fear gaining, I feel a lack of control when I overeat, then bulimia enters the picture which leads to continuing lack of control and more depression. And Satan is having a hey day because he is keeping me defeated!

Another functional god I have struggled with is seeking approval of others (people-pleasing)! I discovered that part of the reason my eating disorders developed was from wanting to please my parents by being the "good" child (my brother was a hellion in his teenage years). I stayed away from drugs and alcohol, unhealthy friendships, partying, etc. I kept quiet, became the valedictorian of my class and sunk into depression and eating disorders.

This people-pleasing trait has eased somewhat as I have aged. Matter in fact, a big weight lifted off of me in the past ten years when I realized that I couldn't please others all of the time. When I find myself worrying too much about what others think, God gently reminds me that only His approval counts.

Sorry I turned this post into a short story, but I want to relate to my fellow siestas that I am right there with you in your struggles! I am praying that our desire would be to please God only, and that we would cut ourselves a break from perfectionism. Also, that we would do all things to His glory whether eating or drinking (I Corinthians 10:31).

Remember our memory verse.....Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling.....
God bless!
Cheri

3 comments:

UL Cards Fan said...

Great post Cheri. (From one people pleaser to another). Thanks for setting up this site. There is certainly strength when GOD's people come together. Praying for you and our fellow Siestas as we jouney together.

Laura said...

This sista so related to this story. I never stopped eating but what I do like to do is eat and eat. I am overweight and I so understand the journey. I am still here. I know my eating habits are bad, I don't exercise, but more than that the LORD is teaching me who I am trusting in. Like Kelly said last week our idol is what we worship. That is what I am doing. This is something I so want to overcome but I am not there yet.
Thank you so much for your honesty. God is good and he is with us all the way.

Traci said...

Cheri,

Your heartfelt honesty is an inspiration. You have obviously healed and come a long way thanks to our Heavenly Father. You are so right, it is only His approval that matters. Thank you so much for sharing. We are right there with you too.

Traci