Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Beth's Final NOG Message - Week 7 "Seasons of Aloneness"

Question 1:

Beth writes:
On the bottom of p.148 and in the context of promised blessing, Kelly writes, “Sometimes the Lord immediately replaces what we have left [as in, said good-bye to], and other times we are left feeling empty for a time.” At several very important seasons of my own life I believe God deliberately let me feel that empty space for a while before He filled it…even with Himself. If you’ve had a similar experience, share it and discuss what purpose God might have had in it.

This line of discussion also brings to mind the segment of Jeremiah 15:17 that Kelly shares on p.167 in Week Eight: “I sat alone because Your hand was on me.” Keep in mind that God created each of us to be a very plugged-in part of the Body of Christ. We were created for relationship but sometimes God draws us into a time of aloneness with Him so that He can work something IN US that He desires to later work THROUGH US. If you’ve had a season like I just described that had a pretty profound effect on you, share it briefly with your group.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I had a season of aloneness just prior to beginning this study. It seemed like the friends that I had either moved away, worked a different schedule, or were just so busy that we couldn't get together for fellowship. I spent last winter kind of complaining to God that I was lonely for a girlfriend that I could hang out with. Don't get me wrong, I attended a Bible study and worked with women, but I didn't go anywhere or do anything with anyone. A couple of years ago, a few friends and I walked/ran the minimarathon at Derby time. We were meeting once a week for training, fellowship and food. This was a great time, but I know now that God was drawing me out for a time of aloneness so that I could draw closer to Him and seek his direction. Unfortunately, it was somewhat lonely for me, but I like the results. I feel that I care more about what He thinks of me and not so much what others think.
Yes, I did complain at the time, but I can see why this was beneficial for my relationship with Him. Thank you Jesus for being my Friend!

Sherri said...

I am in that season RIGHT NOW! We haven't fully moved here yet, since our house in Memphis hasn't sold and we are living in a furnished apartment (furnished in 80's style, I might add!). I feel very unsettled and don't understand why God hasn't followed through on His promise to take care of us. We knew He wanted us to move up here, but we expected that since we were obedient, all the pieces would fall into place easily. So I am waiting, and as difficult as it is, I am excited to see what God has in store for us. Like Cheri, I complain, but I am developing a new love and dependence on Jesus and His Word.

Michelle said...

I am in that season right now too and it is very difficult. I have complained and I have done a lot of crying over the loss of some very dear friends. God knows what's best and I'm trying to trust him. Sometimes I feel all alone and forsaken but I know the truth is God is here and He is aware of what's happening. I am anxious to see how all this will work together for good.